Updated MFA installation

This will apply to Scirocco's 82-88, Jetta's/Golf's/GTi's 85-89. This has
been updated.

Tools
-Small blade screwdriver(like the one used for eyeglass repair)
-Wire cutter

Parts needed
-MFA Intrument cluster. Can be from any Jetta/GTi/Golf 85-89, Scirocco MK2
82-88 with the right tach/speedo combination for the one your replacing, or
an upgraded one for the one your replacing (8k/160 to 8k/140, 8k/140 to
7k/120).
-MFA control switch. Preferebly out of a GTi/Golf 85-87, Scirocco 82-88, so
the rear wiper contacts are there.(Mine is from an 88-89 And works and looks
nice but the top plastic cover has to be either changed for the 88-89 one or
the existing one cut cause the turn signal switch will have to be used).
-MFA control wiring. This is the wiring to wich the MFA switch will be
conected to. This is the same for all models (Scirocco 82-88, Golf/GTi/Jetta
85-89).
-Vaccum "T" conector and 5 feet of vaccum hose. I got this from the power
lock system out of a Jetta.

Procedure

Salvage Operation (If you bought your parts new skip this)

1.Go to your local salvage yard and find a VW with the MFA setup that has
the tach/speedo combination of your choice.

2.Remove the sterring wheels center cover, then the center nut and remove
the steering wheel.

3.Now remove the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, unplug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Now there are 4 thin wires that run
together into a single plug(red,blue,white,black). Disconnect this plug and
pull the whole switch assambley out.

Jetta Golf GTi donor car.

4a.Disconect and pull out the headlight switch, blinker switch, defroster
switch, radio and A/C control face plate. Now remove the screws located one
behind headlight switch, two in the upper part in front of the instrument
cluster, one behind the blind cover under the blinker switch, two in the
upper part in the radio bay, and three? in the lower part in the A/C panel
faceplate location (please correct my if I'm wrong).Then carefully pull out
the plastic faceplate.

5a.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster in place located in the upper
side corners of the instrument cluster. Tilt the cluster towards you a
little bit and pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of the
cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

Scirocco donor car.

4b.Remove the two screws located on the upper top part of the plastic cover
in front of the instrument cluster and remove the plastic cover.

5b.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the center
top of the instrument cluster. Tilt the cluster towards you a little bit and
pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of the cluster. Now
pull the cluster out.

6.You'll need to remove the relay panel, for this loosen the screw on the
lower right side of the panel (on some models there might be a plastic lock.
Twist this lock 1/4 turn clockwise? then pull it out). Lift the panel and
then pull it towards you to get it out.

7.Trace the wires from the connector on the MFA control
switch(red/white,black/white,brown/white,white) the brown/white cable should
connect to a groung connector where there will be another brown cable.

MFA Connector
   |                    _Brown___________________Instrument panel
   |                   |
   |                   |                         harness connector
   |___________________|red connector_
     Brown/white                      |
                                     _|_ brown white
                                      -
                                   ground

The connector will be red in color located behind the relay panel. Unplug
this and then trace back the brown cable to the cluster's harness white
connector. The connectors in the harness hold the cables using a small
plastic prong. Using the small screwdriver lift the prong wich holds the
brown cable and pull the cable out. The cables go as noted by the Bentley
manual:

White - W
Black/white - B
Red/White - R
Brown - M

           |-------|-------|      |-------|-------|
           |_*_*_M_*_*_*_*_|      |_*_*_*_*_*_B_*_|
           |_*_*_*_*_W_*_*_|      |_*_*_*_*_*_*_R_|

            White connector        Black connector

It should come off very easy (don't pull to hard on the cable or you might
break it!). Repeat the procedure for the other 3 wires. Then carefully
remove the MFA switch plug with the wires as a mini harness cutting out all
the straps that hold the wires in place. You'll also need to get 3 more
wires that connect to the oil temp sender and the outside temp sensor. These
cables are noted by the Bentley as follows:

White/red - R
White/blue - B
Green/black - G

           |-------|-------|
           |_*_*_*_*_*_G_*_|
           |_*_*_*_B_*_R_*_|

            White connector

Trace this wires the W/R and W/BL will connect at a double connector behind
the relay panel. The G/BK will lead to a single connector behind the relay
panel. Disconect these conectors and keep trailing the wires into the engine
compartment where youll find both sensors (if you are lucky) Keep these
other wiring even without the sensors so youll have the entire wiring.

Installing operation

NOTE: DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

8.Remove the steering wheels center cover, then the center nut and remove
the steering wheel.

9.Now remove the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, unplug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Now there are 4 thin wires that run
together into a single plug(red,blue,white,yellow?). Disconnect this plug
and pull the whole switch assambley out.

Jetta, Golf, GTi car.

10a.Disconect and pull out the headlight switch, blinker switch, defroster
switch, radio and A/C control face plate. Now remove the screws located one
behind headlight switch, two in the upper part in front of the instrument
cluster, one behind the blind cover under the blinker switch, two in the
upper part in the radio bay, and three? in the lower part in the A/C panel
faceplate location (please correct my if I'm wrong).Then carefully pull out
the plastic faceplate.

11a.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster in place located in the upper
side corners of the instrument cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

Scirocco car.

10b.Remove the two screws located on the upper top part of the plastic cover
in front of the instrument cluster and remove the plastic cover.

11b.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now remove
the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
Now remove the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the center
top of the instrument cluster. Now pull the cluster out.

12. The Bentley gives the following setup:

White - W
Black/white - B
Red/White - R
Brown - M

           |-------|-------|      |-------|-------|
           |_*_*_M_*_*_*_*_|      |_*_*_*_*_*_B_*_|
           |_*_*_*_*_W_*_*_|      |_*_*_*_*_*_*_R_|

            White connector        Black connector

This is the setup for the 3 more wires that connect the oil temp sender and
the outside temp sensor. These cables are noted by the Bentley as follows:

White/red - R
White/blue - B
Green/black - G

           |-------|-------|
           |_*_*_*_*_*_G_*_|
           |_*_*_*_B_*_R_*_|

            White connector

Route these wires trough the firewall into the engine compartment. Both
sensors should be put in the same locations as the donor car. Now route and
attach the wiring to the existing wiring using tie-wraps.

13.Open the hood and go to the engine compartment. There is one large hose
that goes from the vaccum booster to the intake manifold. Along this hose
there is a vaccum PCV valve with two small vaccum hoses comming out from it.
One goes to the small computer (OXS computer?) and the other one goes to a
vaccum reservoir? behing the right fender. Cut the one that goes to the
reservoir? and attach the vacumm "T" connector. To the remaining free
conection of the "T" attach the vaccum hose routed for the cluster. Route
the hose troughout the firewall and up to where the instrument cluster will
be.

14.Connect the vaccum hose to the MFA cluster and fasten the cluster in
position. Set the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the
center top of the instrument cluster. Now reatach the speedometer cable,
easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers. Connect the two wire
harness connectors (one white, one black) to the instrument cluster located
in the bottom corners of the cluster. Reatach the plastic cover in front of
the instrument cluster fastening the two screws located on the upper top
part of it.

15.If you are using 88-89 MFA switch you'll need to replace the plastic
cover that goes on top of the steering column's lock. Since this switch only
fits with the matching turn signal switch. Other solution is to lenghten the
groove made for the signal switch to slide upward. I used a hacksaw blade to
lenghten it by 3/4 of an inch.

16.Now reatach the 3 small blade screws that hold the MFA switch, plug the
connectors on either side of the switch. Attach the connector holding the 4
thin wires (red,blue,white,black) to the connector in the MFA wiring
harness.

17.Reinstall the steering wheel, tighten the nut and reatach the center
cover.