Re: [TECH] - Crank Seal - RTV or Permatex?

Wait.  Wait.  NO WAY on the 1/2" gun and pan bolts!  Ok, maybe if it was
made in the Soviet Union and has been overused by some Sears greasemonkey to
death and has, like, nothing left.  My Mac gun on the slightest setting
would eat those bolts in half like cheap Mexican silver.  Doesn't matter how
delicate I would get with it.  Just too much torque.  Now I did use my Mac
3/8 air ratchet on my pan bolts.  Sweeeeeeeeeeettttt...  Now to get a 1/4"
air ratchet.  Double sweeeeeeeeeetttttt..

But I agree; I am going dry on the gasket.  Don't feel like getting Permatex
(trudging through Bethesda MD traffic), although a VW tech told me it would
be advisable to use it on the lower portion that connects to the pan gasket.

-PK