Re: [TECH] - Crank Seal - RTV or Permatex?

The best stuff I have ever used is Curil which is a non hardening sealer
(used also for bug and porsche cases).  I used this throughout on my 2.0L
16v over a year ago and have no leaks anywhere!  It is dry!  On your other
question, I haven't tried this but you may be able to hold the motor from
turning over by jamming a screwdriver down one of the spark plug holes.
JUST KIDDING!  Actually, you may be able to catch something on the flywheel
through the timing light hole (try not to mess up the threads for the
plastic cap).  Again, I haven't done this but it sounds like it should
work!?!  Worth a try if it doesn't mess anything up since you can use a
flywheel holder if the trans is not installed.  Do you HAVE to take the
cover off?  I usually do front crank seals with them installed.  A little
tricky, but doable!  If you try this, just make sure you don't scratch the
crank surface that the seal rides on (but I know you know that!).  HTH!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco