Re: Vehicle transport, anyone ever do this?

Cheapest way is to rent (or beg/borrow/extended test drive) a pickup truck
and a trailer.

A U-Haul type deal will typically cost less for local (drive it there and
back) than one-way (rent it there, drive back), but mileage charges will
kill you.

My cheapest out was to rent an Explorer from Hertz (unlimited mileage :) and
a trailer from U-Haul (no mileage tracked) and I grabbed a car from Houston,
Texas (I'm in Missouri) over a weekend for about $200.

Moving up the scale, if you are in/close to a big city, check with the local
offices of nationwide moving companies (United, Allied, Coastal, et al)
sometime they have partial loads along common routes that you can add your
car onto at a reduced rate.

Most expensive is a dedicated auto hauler, listed in the back of any
Hemmings Motor News or similar rag -- typically ~$1000 coast-to-coast,
somewhat less for less distance.

HTH.

Christian
87 16V