Re: brake bleading

Tony,

You are correct that you can apply compressed air (or compressed sausage
grease, for that matter) on top of the master cylinder and successfully
bleed your brakes.

The advantage of using brake fluid under pressure instead is that:

1.) You aren't hampered by the relatively small volume of fluid the
reservoir holds.

2.) You aren't adding more exposure to air into a system from which you are
trying to expel air.

3.) You don't raise the potential for water (prevalent in compressed air) to
saturate your nice clean new fluid.

You'll find it to be easier on yourself and your brakes to push brake fluid
rather than more air.

Cheers,

Christian
87 16V