Re: - Mileage

    i just picked up an 89 jetta trophy (1.8L 16V) a couple of months ago,
and i'm currently putting on about 1500km/week (938miles).

    with the stock gearbox, i'm managing an average of about 8.0L/100km
(31.25mpg).  the car has yet to be tuned up, and has a bit of an exhaust
leak (on a shit aftermarket exhaust).  also, i'm averaging about 120km/h
(74mph).90% of the distance covered is open highway, so i really don't know
what the milage is in the city, but i'm sure that it would be about
mid-20mpg.

    my rocco is a different story, however.  i average about 11L/100km
(24.3mpg) in it.  that's at about an average of 160 (100mph) tho ;).  i
cannot imagine how these guys can drive V8s.  how the hell do they afford
it??

    i really want to throw a huge 5th gear in the jetta (.71), but i
understand that with the 16V tranny, i am not able to use an 8V 5th gear.
is this true?  if so, am i to grab the 5th out of a G60 box or something?

    thanks.

jason
the mad bastard