Re: - Mileage

At 03:00 PM 1/23/01 , Anthony Pelletier wrote:

>I recently bought a Jetta GlI (2.016v) and its mileage
>is complete shit compared to my scirocco 16v.  I
>averaged 30mpg (with shrick 256 cams and a 3.94 R& P)
>I haven't done better than 25 with the jetta.  It
>hovers around 23-24.  Which I feel is complete BS.

BS is right - but it's not far off.  I have 2 friends with GLI 16Vs (both
are 1.8s, though).  One gets 23 consistently and the other gets 26.

>There are V8's that can pull that for mileage.  My
>uncles suburban gets 18-20 for comparison.  I put in

I know, I know.  My other car is a Mercedes 190 Euro-model with a 2.0 8V
4.  Now, contrary to what most people think, my 190 only weighs 2600lb
(i.e. less than a Jetta).  True, it's a 4-speed auto without a torque
converter, but it's coefficient of drag is 0.33, which (for 1982 when it
was designed) was awesome.  The result:  21-23mpg.  Not any better than
your Jetta -- and mine's slow. :)

>new plugs & wires and a bottle of redline injector
>cleaner.  Any other ideas?  I am going to try jason't

Not much you can do about it.  The A2 Jettas had a Cd of 0.40 -- it's a big
ol' brick, and there ain't nothing you can do about it! :)

>theory.  Its 90mph on the way home today!  Btw jason
>your mileage is awesome considering the EPA rated the
>scirocco 16v something like 24-28 (cty-hwy).  Going to
>blast down the highway.  I wonder if the extra fuel
>mileage will pay for the ticket..

hehe. :)
EPA for the Scirocco was 23/28, so yeah, I'm doing great.  Average mileage
for the car since the day I got it:

46127.9 miles @ 1542.396 gallons =  29.91 miles/gallon.

  I have no complaints there!

Jason.