Re: [tech] Various Heater Smells

>So lately I can smell coolant coming from my heat.  Also, if I'm
>stopped at a light behind someone I get a lot of exhaust smell
>through the heat too.  I know its not my exhaust since if nobody is
>in front of me I don't smell it, and if I turn the heat off I don't
>smell it either.  Any idea where I would be pulling this in from?
>
>The heat is working fine.  Thanks
>
>Greg
>

>- --
>'84 Scirocco
>scirocco@macslut.org

Ok, this may sound a little crazy, but I've fixed several leaky
coolent systems this way when no other viable option existed.  I'm
not talking pouring out of the car leaking, just like a tiny drip
from an engine bay rad hose, or the smell of coolent in the car but
no steam or liquid.  It's pepper.  Common table pepper.  A tsp or
two usually did the trick, 10 minutes of driving, and leak / smell
gone.  No ill effects in years of driving afterwards either.  I heard
about it from someone on this list years ago who got it from his
grandfather and he used this trick to get many more years of coolent
system service from his farm equipment.  True story.  Would use this
trick again if necessary with no reservations.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net