Re: ignition timing

>Hi people,
>this is my first time in scirocco-l. I'm happy that I've found you.
>
>I drive a '76 rocco with 5 speed gearbox and a 1.8 liter 8V engine
>captured from a '88 Audi 80 (engine code begins with PMO). I do not
>have engine specs, so I would be very happy if someone can help me.
>What angle should I use for ignition timing? Which vacuum hose
>should I block on diaphram (there are two)? Is there a straight
>forward method of adjusting timing without using a strob?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bulent
>Istanbul

Welcome to the list!  I don't think we're too familiar with your particular
engine, but if it's not knock sensor equipped, you could probably advance
the timing to around 3 - 6 degrees BTDC (just a slightly educated guess). I
suppose a general rule of thumb for the 8v's would be add in enough advance
so it doesn't ping under load (going uphill in 4th for instance).  As for
actually setting this value, you can guess at it, by running advance
until it pings, but nothing replaces the timing light for making an
exact setting.  This may mean nothing if your distributor vacuum advance
isn't working properly...

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net