Re: [tech] suspension - Front upper stress bar Q's

Coming from an engineering point of view, I would want my upper stress bar to
be as stiff as possible.  What were trying to control is the towers from
moving inward when the front corners load up in a turn.  The bar does nothing
for up and down stiffness, you would have to have a big X frame going from
top to bottom tying the suspension diagonally.  All we're trying to do is
prevent the strut towers from leaning in and uncontrollably changing the
suspension geometry.  With this in mind, you would want a bar the has minimal
bends and no flexing joints, thus being as stiff as poossible.  If I could
fit one in, I would fab a straight tube between the towers welded to thick
plates.  In fact I did this to a carburated Rabbit because the top of the
struts are well above the engine parts.  Worked out great and easy to build.
This won't prevent the paint from cracking on the top of the strut though,
just ask, I'll show you sometime.
My $0.01.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/

In a message dated 1/15/01 12:30:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,