Re: [tech] CVs

>Guys,
>
>My Cvs are definitely on their way out.  Both boots are fuct and I plan on
>replacing the entire driveshaft and inner and outer CVs.  I think that this
>will be the easiest route.
>
>When replacing them, can I get away with not having to do an alignment?
>Will the CVs 'pop' out if I take out the entire driveshaft?

If you are having trouble removing the drive axles (very possible, as
clearances are tricky), just pop the ball joint, swing the entire
assembly away from the car to gain just enough clearance to pop the
outer CV from the hub. In other words, you do not have to do a front
end alignment after this job. :)

>Now, with respect to the inner CVs, I have a 84 Shitrocco with the 4K
>tranny.  Does it have the 100mm or 90mm inner CVs?  I haven't looked
>underneath yet but I wanna know in advance.

Check the 'gears' page on scirocco.org for this info (Click the Gears
icon off the front page).

>Thanks
>
>Sal

==Brett