Re: [tech] HELP more alternator probs...longish

Those NAPA rebuilds could be very well crap, one after the other, don't
count that out.

One thing that struck me while reading your email was:

- You have an additional ground wire from the Alt case to the Battery
(two?). What about the orig ground cables to the frame, the connections
themselves on the car's chassis and the electrical path between chassis/
Alt/ & the block were the sparkin' takes place.

1st thing I would do is divide and conquer, isolate and identify. Unhook
the Amp until you resolve things, this way it's less complex and you
_know_ it's not a fault.

Also, once you get to replacing the Alt (again) take out the battery and
recondition the ground to block and then to chassis contacts. Gotta get
em clean and then coat with something to keep the 2 out. A light schemer
of Vaseline if you don't have dielectric grease or stabilant-22.

(Damn, as I'm typing this, a big rig just ran into my state's capitol
bldg. Truck's on fire but the bldg.'s not tore up too bad. <hmmm> )

Any way, I would relocate one of those two cable from the Alt to the
Neg. post from the battery to the engine block. The valve cover is a
convenient place.

I'm going to ring off and look at the news now but the other thing to do
is to test across fuses terminals, (with the fuses removed one by one),
one by one to see if one has a larger than normal drain. Gotta go, HTH

TBerk