[tech] HELP more alternator probs...longish

List,

Please help!!! I suspect that my car (84 8v purchased in July) is
destroying alternators. I'm on my 3rd one in 1.5 months. This last one
lasted 4 days. I don't really understand automotive electronics, but
could something electric in the car be hooked up wrong? It seems
they've been dying more recently when I've had the heater blower on.

I have 2 extra ground wires (10 and 12 gauge, running from the neg
battery terminal to the Alt housing. the car also came with a cheezy
Pyramid amp hooked up from PO (possibly improperly?). Could any of this
(amp/heater/xtra ground) cause the untimely death of an alt?

I got 2 of the alternators at NAPA (rebuilds). Is it possible that they
just don't rebuild them that well. Both put out 14 volts upon
installation. Then, a few weeks to a few days later, they were putting
out 11.4 or so and my dash lights come on.

I posted to the list when the last one died about 2-3 weeks ago and a
few people suggested that it was the regulator (I haven't checked them
or replaced one yet because I haven't minded taking it back to NAPA--
they keep giving me new ones, but i'd rather not do it every month!! If
you all feel that a quality replacement regulator on one of the rebuilt
alts will solve this I will try that route. I also would not mind
purchasing a new quality alternator from somewhere else, but I'm afraid
that there might be something wrong with the car and it will kill a new
one too.

So I guess my question is...is my car killing these alternators or is
it possible that I keep getting crap from NAPA (It just seems unlikely
that 3 alternators from NAPA could be defective--Am I ignorant?)

your collective wisdom is appreciated.
TIA,
-Keith

84 8v <-current source of frustration