Re: [tech] suspension - Front upper stress bar Q's

Hi Andy,
         The upper stress bars won't help the strut towers themselves from
cracking or disforming -- but they will help the torsional rigidy of the
car as a whole.  Imagine for a minute what the front of the car looks like
without any body pieces up front.  You have two crossmembers running
longitudinally, connected at the bottom by the front crossmember,
stressbar, and engine.  But you have no support higher up, because the hood
can't be welded to the fenders...

Thus, on bumps and high-force curves, the whole front end of the car can
easily bend.  Adding an upper-level support member greatly reduces body
flex down below.

If you drive a car with an upper brace right after one without, you can
feel the difference immediately.  Turn-in is considerably quicker with the
tie-bar.  The steering is more precise over surface irregularities, and the
car tracks much better.  The biggest difference is on long sweepers with
undulating or slightly bumpy (i.e. not enough to bottom the
suspension).  Take the turn really fast (like at 90%) and keep the steering
wheel in the same spot.  You'll notice the car squirm around a whole lot
less with the upper tie bar.  The reason is because the front isn't flexing
as much, which keeps the steering geometry more consistent.

Mind you, you'll _never_ eliminate body flex on an A1 by doing anything
short of welding in a 500-point roll cage, but if you're a sensitive enough
driver to be able to feel the frame flexing, you'll feel a tremendous
difference with the upper tie bar.

And, as an aside, if it didn't work, stiff-framed cars like the E36 BMW
3-series wouldn't use them on the M3s. :)

Jason

At 08:14 PM 1/15/01 , andkat wrote:
>I don't think anybody would notice the car handling any different with or
>without a upper stress bar.  The only time I've seen the paint on the strut
>towers cracking is after somebody hit a curb.  There is just know way those
>things are going to flex enough to make a difference. The lower is a
>completely different story.
>
>Andy 1.9 '79

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro