Re: I am an idiot. Please help me.(CV job)

Don't listen to those guys Scott.  You can put any ball back in any
position.  This is what you do.

1.  Put the hub back into the cage.

2.  Put the hub/cage back into the outer CV joint.

3.  The positioning of the hub and cage inside the CV joint is as follows:
       A.  You will notice that the cage has a flat edge on one side and a
beveled edge on the other.  The beveled edge faces outward (toward the
trans).
       B.  The hub is similar.  The beveled edge (in the hole where it
mounts onto the shaft) goes towards the trans.

4.  The outer CV is pretty simple since the spacing is even between the
balls.  Just start shoving balls in.  Like the pic in the bentley, push down
on one side, shove a ball in, then go to the other side.  Simple!

For the inner CV, follow these directions:

1.  It is the oposite for the positioning of the hub and cage, the beveled
edges point toward the wheel (toward the shaft).

2.  This is the tricky part.  Once you have the hub and cage back together,
install two bearings opposite of each other and install into the outer CV
housing accordingly:
     A.  Notice the wide edge and narrow edge on the outer CV and how they
alternate.
     B.  Align the narrow gaps of the hub with the wide edge of the CV
housing and push in hub/cage with the two bearings.

3.  Once you have installed the hub/cage assy into the inner CV housing,
then install the other 4 balls by rotating out the hub/cage assy.

Since your joints are used, they should be easier to reassemble.  Now, when
installing, be sure to grease the CVs and add some grease to the boots.  The
outer CV joint can be tapped on with a brass hammer or something soft (so
you don't mess up the threads--you DON'T want to mushroom the end!!).   Be
sure to install the boot first (on both inner and outer CVs).  When you
install the inner CV joint you will first install the boot, then there is a
washer that is concave shaped (install it cup out--toward the CV joint),
then slide on the CV joint, then reinstall the C clip.

VIOLA!!!!  You are done!!  Now install in vehicle.  HTH!!  If you have any
questions LMK!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco