Timing/Distributer questions

OK,...it doesn't seem that I have any freaking idea what I am doing here.
what seems right, obviously isn't.  (car still won't start)
    Here is a run down of what has happened and been done.
Car wouldn't start.  Remove timing belt and check timing.  Intermed. shaft
seemed to be 1/4 turn off.  Loosened cam belt and set timing.  Turned motor
over by hand a couple of times.  At one revolution of crank the cam and
intermed. sprockets would be 1/2 off of timing marks.  Another revolution of
crank and they were dead on.  Looked at distributor rotor.  It was pointing
at 4-5 O'clock.  Removed distributor,...installed new points and reinstalled
distributor in motor.  Put distributor cap on to see where the rotor would
be pointing....it was at about 3-4 O'clock and seemed "dead-on" one of the
plug holes on the cap.  Made that my #1 plug and installed remainder of plug
wires in clockwise order of 1-3-4-2.  Tried to start car.  Very slow flash
coming from timing light.   Like.....flash, one second, flash......etc.
Moved distributor back and forth and this never got better,...in fact at
times there was no spark at all according to timing light.   If someone has
an idea,...or maybe just some time to explain how this distributor/firing
thing happens ,...that may help.  I seemed to be too stupid to understand
the Bentley or past recommendations....
Thanks again you guys....(and gals),
Chris