[tech] rocco tach

does anyone know what could be going on with my tach... when I start it up sometimes the tach will peg itself in the 4.5k-6k range and the motor will experience rough idle at 1k. I then turn off the ignition, and start her again, and ussuslly it'll be fine on ht e second try. Is this the hall sensor acting up? Other than that she seems to be running very strrong, but getting 21mpg... not what I would like to be getting since she's my daily. How could I get the numbers Dave Ewing's getting? He claims 35mpg, and he thinks he couldget better! Best I've seen is 29mpg...

help me Obe One Kenobe...

chris
87 16v rocco