Audio gurus: help (long)

I have a question for all the audio experts.

I just purchased a Panasonic in dash CD headunit, model CQ-DF600U.

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/product.asp?sku=CQ-DF600U

for more info, here is the crutchfield page:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-x7Zehkytr6n/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=133DF600&o=M&a=0

In any case, here is the dilema:

My previous head unti had 1 preamp output.  I configured the system
so my amp would run my subwoofer and the 2 rear speakers.  It sounded
great and was happy.

This new Panasonic unit has a rear preamp output, a front preamp
output and a sub woofer output.  It has a nifty feature that I can
adjust the volume of the subwoofer, independent of the bass level, or
the volume of the music.  I think I have to plug te subwoofer into the
sub woofer output in order to take advantage of this feature.
However, does this mean that my sub woofer will only be powered by the
headunit, and no longer by the amp?

If I plug the amp into the rear preamp output, I am sure I can get
the sub and the rear speakers running off my 1 amp, but I don't know
if I'll be able to run the nifty sub woofer volume feature on te head
unit.  No big deal though if thats the case.

Anyone familiar with the headunti and how to wire it up w/ 1 amp and
get it to run the subwoofer and rear speakers, AND get to use all the
features?

Am I making sense?

Thanks

Victor