Re: question - preserving drive flanges

There shouldn't be any problem with the flanges. You could, however, shorten
the life of the inner CVs since, if oil is leaking thru the flange, into the
CV, the grease will be thinned out and this will increase wear in the joint
- I left mine leaking for a few months and when I finally fixed it, the CV
contained 100% gear oil.

Ewan Hopkins.