Re: Murphy's Law - oil cooler seal blew up!

This is a somewhat common occurrence...   when it happened to me it was
actually the oil filter seal....   what weight oil are you running?  Here's
the way I see it:

Start cold engine, oil pressure is damn high

Rev engine to move car, oil pressure is higher yet

I have not verified the existance of a pressure release valve anywhere in
the system, but assume there has to be one.  If there is one, it's stuck

High oil pressure tries to escape anywhere it can....   blows out one of the
rubber orings (filter or cooler) and then starts spitting all the oil out,
leaving a nice trail on the road, rustproofing your car, etc.

First thing to do is take your filter off and see if the oring is in it's
groove.  If it's not, there's no need to take the cooler off.  Put the o
ring back in (or just get a new filter) and put it back on...   *tight*
(only time I've ever used a wrench to tighten a filter)

Fill with thinner oil...   from my experience, once the light comes on on
level ground it's 3 quarts low  :)

Remind yourself to let the car really warm up before revving so you don't
have to do this again

John

lotsa stuff
http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren

> Last night I mentioned to a friend how reliable my 250k+ rocco has been.
> then mention that I shouldn't have said that, which now I know I shouldn't
> have....
>
> She blew the oil cooler seal this AM in a supermarket parking lot a mile
> from my house.  Could be much worse, I know.  At least that's what I
believe
> happened.  Check out the replay and verify or correct:
>
> 1) Start up, go to gas station.
> 2) Start up, go to supermarket.
> 3) Start up, smell oil (thinking it's some clod next to me who doesn't
take
> care of his vehicle - LOL!)
> 4) See the oil pressure light blink off/on a few times out of the corner
of
> my eye.
> 5) Turn it off, check underneath, and there is 1/3 of my oil (estimated)
in