RE: Coolant Loss

James,
I hate to bring this up as possibility but if there is no sign of coolant
loss and you are having to refill it on a regular basis, you might be
burning it.
Bad head gasket, cracked head?
You might check to see if your oil is foamy or if the coolant that is in
there now is irridescent.
You could check the compression of each cylinder and make sure all are about
the same.
If you have a crack or break in the headgasket between a water passage and
the combustion chamber you'd probably notice a lack of power and poor
running condition though.
If you haven't already, check these things and get back to us.

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver