Re: 90A alternator

george curl wrote:

> I know this has been bounced around several times.
> Which VWs came with the 90A alternators.

8v models
    Golf 85 & up (With AC)
    Jetta/Jetta2 83 to 86
    Scirocco 5/83 to 87
    Cabriolet 85 & up
    Fox 87 & up (With AC)
16v models
    GTI 87 & up
    GLI 88 & up
    Scirocco 86 to 88
Diesel models
    Golf 86 & 87
    Jetta2 85 to 87, 89 & up (With AC)

Most important, these are the model numbers to look for:

    AL27x, AL30x, AL33x, AL34x

> Just to let you know, mine is a 78 rocco w/o AC.  When
> I installed the new motor I used the alt brakcet from
> a later model to mount the alt without the AC
> compressor leaving me with 1 less belt and lots less
> weight.  I'd like to keep the 1 belt setup to keep it
> simple and clean.   Is their anyone whose done this
> swap and can give me a few tips.

 Installing 90A unit into a car which doesn't have AC its a piece of
cake.  Only thing that you may need to do is swap pulleys.  You will
however need to go from the plug type of connection to the ring type.
All of the 90a units I have seen use a post to connect the B and D+
terminals instead of the spades.  This is also a good time to upgrade
the alt wire (B) and the ground wires on the car.  HTH...

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79
 ICQ #76283458
 http://4.35.245.85/