90A alternator

I know this has been bounced around several times.
Which VWs came with the 90A alternators.  I checked
out my brothers 85 GTi and it's definitly a different
type but I don't know if it's a 90A.
It looked like it would bolt right up with the
exception of the pully being too short.
Just to let you know, mine is a 78 rocco w/o AC.  When
I installed the new motor I used the alt brakcet from
a later model to mount the alt without the AC
compressor leaving me with 1 less belt and lots less
weight.  I'd like to keep the 1 belt setup to keep it
simple and clean.   Is their anyone whose done this
swap and can give me a few tips.
Thanx in advance..
George-