RE: Front speakers in doors...

Morten,
I have a US 1981 Scirocco S wit the map pocket/front speaker enclosures on
the door panels.
I also wanted to put a larger amplified speaker in the original location
instead of the low power 4"x6"'s that are available.
My friend sold me his 5 ¼" MBQuarts and I just Had to make them fit.
I finially came up with a plan:
1st off, they luckily mounted perfectly into the sheetmetal part of the door
with three attachments points (top/bottom/front).
I put axle grease (lightly) on the metal front outer part of the speaker
(where the MBQuart grill would normally slide over). Then I gently put the
door panel back on in it's correct position (without moving it in any
direction except towards the door.
I then gently removed the door panel (again without moving it in any
direction except away from the door).
This gave me the location on the back of the panel where the metal outer
part of the speaker made contact with the door panel.
I then, using a sharp utility blade, cut inside this mark about ¼" and
cleared out all the compressed board backing without cutting the front
vinyl.
I did this so that the metal part of the speaker would space the door panel
away from the paper part that moved.
I now have stock looking door panels with high power 5 ¼" MBQuarts powered
by a Coustic 100Wx100W amp and it sounds awesome

If you don't have the map pocket/speaker enclosures you could just mount the
speaker in the sheetmetal like I did and cut a hole in the door panel using
the grilles that came with the speakers. Or you could drill equally spaced
holes in the vinyl (time consuming and very hard to get to look good) to get
it to work.
I hope that made sense. :-)
GL

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver