Re: It just stops!

> "r.evans" wrote:
>
> I'm new to the group so sorry if this problem's been listed loads of
> times before but... I've just bought a 1988 1.6 GT. It's only had one
> owner and it has a full VAG service history on 94,000 miles. Just
> recently it's developed a nasty habit of cutting out whenever it feels
> like it. I'll be going along quite happily at 40, 50, 60, 70+ mph and
> then it will stall. If I leave the clutch out whilst moving it
> jump-starts but continues to judder down the road. With the clutch in
> the engine cuts completely out. If I stop, the engine starts
> immediately and I'm on my way again.
>
> This happened to me whilst over-taking up a hill yesterday! Crapped me
> self a bit so need the problem sorting and me seats cleaning!
>
> Cheers for any advice

As I don't have a chance to learn about late model Carburetor cars I can
only wonder if your car has points or electronic Ign? [I'm in N.A.]

If it has solid state points with a Hall Sender then I would verify the
plug and socket on the distributor, as well as the wires inside the
Dist- they get crispy over time, and the socket gets banged around a
lot- intermittent contact and boom- your symptoms.

Also goes to why it only happens under certain conditions.

btw- sorry guys, this doesn't really sound like a clogged filter. Maybe
debris in the tank, but...

hth,
TBerk