It just stops!

Title: It just stops!

I'm new to the group so sorry if this problem's been listed loads of times before but... I've just bought a 1988 1.6 GT. It's only had one owner and it has a full VAG service history on 94,000 miles. Just recently it's developed a nasty habit of cutting out whenever it feels like it. I'll be going along quite happily at 40, 50, 60, 70+ mph and then it will stall. If I leave the clutch out whilst moving it jump-starts but continues to judder down the road. With the clutch in the engine cuts completely out. If I stop, the engine starts immediately and I'm on my way again.

This happened to me whilst over-taking up a hill yesterday! Crapped me self a bit so need the problem sorting and me seats cleaning!

Cheers for any advice