Re: Speaking of door handles,,,

At 01:03 AM 1/7/01 -0500, RoccoPhil wrote:
>I've noticed on a number of my VWs that the handles have what I would call
>'play' in them.  As I depress the handle (from the outside only), it moves
>about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way before the latch starts to actuate.  I've tried
>dissassembling and cleaning the handles, as well as using replacements
>(used).  No real improvement.
>
>When I have this 'play', is it in the relay system for the door handle (the
>rods and so forth) or is actually a problem with the latch mechanism?  Can
>it be fixed?
>
>-PK
There was a nylon sleeve for the A2 Golf/Jettas that went on the lever
inside the door to fix this problem.  Eventually they wear out, but they
are/were cheap.  I put my last one on the '86 a couple of months ago and
it's fine now.

John C. Worden
Wayne, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Back on the road-new Overdrive, welded transfer case and
other stuff
'86 Scirocco 8V- Soon to be for sale
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear