Speaking of door handles,,,

I've noticed on a number of my VWs that the handles have what I would call
'play' in them.  As I depress the handle (from the outside only), it moves
about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way before the latch starts to actuate.  I've tried
dissassembling and cleaning the handles, as well as using replacements
(used).  No real improvement.

When I have this 'play', is it in the relay system for the door handle (the
rods and so forth) or is actually a problem with the latch mechanism?  Can
it be fixed?

-PK