Re: [Tech] Help! - Oil seal failure

Thanks to Shawn & Chris for the help, I've got it all back together again &
no sign of any leaks.

> Place deep well 1/2" socket over the bolt behind the intermediate shaft
seal carrier > (it is a 13mm bolt but a 1/2" fits more snug). Then using
this socket as a locking
> device put your ratchet (with a 19mm on it) over the bolt.

I tried that, but the socket kept coming off. I ended up using a big
flat-blade screwdriver (about 10" long). I jammed it between the 13mm bolt &
the sprocket,  and braced the handle against the top of the chassis rail.
With the leverage from the screwdriver, it was pretty easy to loosen the
sprocket bolt.

> Now if you have any micro film or even a plastic pop bottle with
smooth(not
> ripply) sides; cut the middle out of the bottle.
> Then cut it in a manner that you have a plastic cylinder that is cut down
> the side.Now roll the plastic up and slide it over the end of the
> intermediate shaft. Then slide the seal carrier over the shaft and into
the
> block. Remove your plastic thingy.  Just as a note the plastic thing is to
> prevent the seal from rolling over and popping the spring off during
> installation.

This works a treat! I used a piece of diazo photographic film I had lying
around.

Thanks again,

Stuart