Re: More CIS ...Distributer questions

>OK,....kind of along the lines of DeLongs idea,....I  have removed the coil
>and all ignition stuff minus the distributor from the 78.  Here is my
>biggest question before I begin.  (I'm going to clean everything and
>disassemble the distributor and *attempt* to install new points and
>whatnot.)  When I remove the distributor and get it all cleaned up and
>ready
>to install.......what keeps me from putting this thing in 180 degrees or
>even lets say 90 degrees backwards?

no need to remove your distributor. Just install the points with it in the
car. This could create more of a problem than it is worth for clean parts.

Seems to me that there will be a gear
>on the bottom of the distributor yes?

Yup

  This gear meshes with the
>intermediate shaft gear, yes?

Yup

  So there doesn't seem to be any way for me to
>know if I am putting the damn thing back in the way it was, (which I don't
>know for sure is right anyway)   or 180 degrees off?

Even worse you could put it in something like 67 degrees off. no fun.

  Also,....I am know
>getting fire at all the plugs after tinkering with the points as per
>DeLong.
>So that is  a plus.  But when I pulled the plugs they were still clean but
>saturated with fuel.  So I am thinking that the spark is not good enough to
>fire the fuel.

Unlikely. Although your timing could be off so far that it isnt firing at
the right time. Remember, changing the gap in the points changes your
timing. If you have a dwell meter set the points to 47 degrees. If you dont
have one of those then gap them to .0016. if you still dont have that then
try using a match stick. If you are down to using a match stick its time for
you to go to the auto parts store and buy some tools ;-)

  Or maybe I am dumping in too much fuel?

i think your getting warmer.

Is there a good
>*starting* point to measure the amount of fuel being dumped by each
>injector
>then *fine tune* the mixture once the car is running?  Like
>maybe,...priming
>fuel pump, raising air flow sensor plate and *leaning* out the fuel
>adjustment (3mm hex ) until no fuel sprays and then add 1/2 turn opposite
>way to add "just enough fuel to spray?

Well just for starters raising the plate will not make it leaner it will
make it richer. Try this: Bypass your fuel pump relay (plugs remioved from
car), pull an injector out of the head, observe if it is spraying (ignition
off) if it is then your sensor plate is way too high, turn the screw
counterclockwise until you get no more fuel, then turn it back about 1/8th
of a turn. Disconnect your coil and crank the engine over to get rid of
excess fuel. Install good non-fouled plugs. Then try to start it. Be sure
your points are set right.

Are your timing belt marks set dead on?

  I'm just throwing ideas out here.
>Lastly,...I have the firing order,.....1,3,4,2 clockwise.....if this is
>correct and I can get some insight from you all

That is correct.

......tomorrow may lead to a
>running car.

HTH an GL!