More CIS ...Distributer questions

OK,....kind of along the lines of DeLongs idea,....I  have removed the coil
and all ignition stuff minus the distributor from the 78.  Here is my
biggest question before I begin.  (I'm going to clean everything and
disassemble the distributor and *attempt* to install new points and
whatnot.)  When I remove the distributor and get it all cleaned up and ready
to install.......what keeps me from putting this thing in 180 degrees or
even lets say 90 degrees backwards?  Seems to me that there will be a gear
on the bottom of the distributor yes?  This gear meshes with the
intermediate shaft gear, yes?  So there doesn't seem to be any way for me to
know if I am putting the damn thing back in the way it was, (which I don't
know for sure is right anyway)   or 180 degrees off?  Also,....I am know
getting fire at all the plugs after tinkering with the points as per DeLong.
So that is  a plus.  But when I pulled the plugs they were still clean but
saturated with fuel.  So I am thinking that the spark is not good enough to
fire the fuel.  Or maybe I am dumping in too much fuel?  Is there a good
*starting* point to measure the amount of fuel being dumped by each injector
then *fine tune* the mixture once the car is running?  Like maybe,...priming
fuel pump, raising air flow sensor plate and *leaning* out the fuel
adjustment (3mm hex ) until no fuel sprays and then add 1/2 turn opposite
way to add "just enough fuel to spray?  I'm just throwing ideas out here.
Lastly,...I have the firing order,.....1,3,4,2 clockwise.....if this is
correct and I can get some insight from you all......tomorrow may lead to a
running car.
Again as always,
Many,
Many thanks,