Premature OXS death

	I've replaced the oxygen sensor on my '81 with stock 1.7L EN and CIS and it
seems to have gone bad within a week after installation.  I'm defining "bad"
as having a rich smelling exhaust and crummy fuel economy and seeing no
change upon disconnecting the OXS connector.  I had replaced the sensor
about 6 months ago with similar results.

	I'm assuming that it's unlikely that I've gotten two defective Bosch OXS's
so what would kill them so fast?  Can the burning of engine oil do this?
What about the anti-seize that's on the threads?  Can an exhaust or manifold
leak be responsible?  What exactly happens to the sensor to make it go bad?
Can they be re-animated?  Baffled, benton-------