Re: Why are poly bushings "bad"?

When I got my car it had poly bushings in it already but since it sat for
over 2 years the sleeves that go into the bushings had rusted and created
sort of a sandpaper effect whenever the suspension flexed.  It didn't take
long for the bushings to create a oversteering problem in turns(the control
arms whould move about 1/2" once the suspension was put into a bind in a
corner).  Once I figured it out and replaced the bushings, everything was
fine.

I guess what it ends up being (and this is always a factor with me) is how
much money are you willing to spend?  I paid $20 for the bushings that are
in my car now, but the Delrins look attractive to me also!!  I don't know if
I would ever be able to afford Shine's setup though.  It also depends on
what you do with your car.  If you are Scott Williams I would go top of the
line, if you are like me, Joe Shmoe street racer and sometimes show up at
the import drags, then the Poly or Delrin is probably fine.  I do have to
say, though, that I had my front motor mount bracket break before my front
poly mount did!!  And I have never had one break.  HTH!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco