alt light -> not going out! help!

help me help me!

just sold my '84, and it needs to pass emmisions but the alternator light
and oil pressure light won't turn off once the engine is running. they need
to so the car can pass emissions. I can't cut the wires, or they won't come
on with the key in the 'acc' position. I've been looking for a reason why,
but can't find anything. Anyone know what's going on?

background:  I had a custom ignition system on the car to run in DSP solo
II and I was told I needed to remove the fuel pump relay and put a jumper
in so the new ignition wouldn't interfer with the electrical systems.
That's when the lights did this, and I was told it was normal. Now the car
is back to completely stock.

still scanning bently......

Darrell Adams
SAP Infrastructure Support