[tech] Strange driveline sounds

Ever since I started driving my 86 8v, I have heard the same low pitched
grinding noise coming from someplace between the tranny case and the tires.
It starts at about 20mph, and continues until the wind drowns it out at about
85-90mph.  It has not changed in 4 months, does not change under load, or
cornering, or stopping.  It used to pulsate at about 3-4Hz, but it does not
seem to do this anymore, just a low hum.
Could it be an inner CV joint?  No boots are ripped.
Wheel bearing?  It does not change while cornering.
Brakes?  Stuck caliper?  The brakes on the car have not been replaced, but
visual exams and disassembly have not revealed anything unusual.

If this were the summer, I probably would not fix it until it breaks (if
ever).  However I require this car to perform at high sustained highway
speeds (70-90 for 7 to 10 hours), and deep snow, and I do not want to get
stranded someplace in the absolute wilderness!!!

Thanks for any ideas
Ben
86 8v