Re: [tech] Transfer Pump

For the record, the switch was during January, 1984 production of the 1984
model year, which lasted through to the end of July 1984.  So the only
really "iffy" month would be January production - early January would be
old tank, late January would be new tank (theoretically.)  Because the new
tanks do not physically fit on the old chassis, when the new chassis
started rolling through, so did the new tanks (and exhausts etc.)

Drew

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Or, Hey, why don't we check to see if there are any fuel lines running to
> > the cap first!!!!  BTW, 85 was the first year for transfer pumps AFAIK!!!
> >
> > Dave
> > 77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
> > 84 Scirocco
>
> Transfer pumps started part way through 84.
>
> He asked how to remove the plate, I told him.
>
> Thank you for also supplying the fuel line info, it'll go hand
> in hand with the little -vs- big spare information.  I'll put
> this in the FAQ section of scirocco.org.
>
> ==Brett

> > took
> > as

> > > That round plate with the slots / teeth sticking up actually spins.  Try
> > > tapping it around counter-clockwise with a punch and hammer.  Set the
> > > punch into one of the slots and tap away, it should spin to a certain
> > > point (45 degrees off?) and then just lift out.  This is probably the
> > > lock ring as referred to in the Bentley.  If you have a xfer pump,
> > > it'll be hanging off the pickup tube...you can't miss it.  84 was an
> > > odd year if I remember correctly, and some had it, and some didn't.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca