Re: [Tech] I be smellin' dat good ol' gear oil....

In a message dated 1/4/01 12:14:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, LXVTEC@aol.com
writes:

<< My advice is pull the tranny and double-check the casing inside the
 bellhousing. Also check and see if you have any fluid leaking between the
 tranny and the block. >>

Absolutely. Self machining syndrome will bore a hole into the INSIDE of the
bellhousing once the cross-shaft moves over and starts eating the case. You
would not be able to spot the hole from the outside without pulling the
tranny....

Also, before you change your flange seals, you'll want to check the seal
surface of the flanges themselves. It doesn't take much of a wear ridge to
tear up the new seal in short order. If you can catch a fingernail on the
flange, I'd say replace it too.

Good Luck,
Danny