Re: rad fan problem, and more.....

>A friend at work has a problem with her '92 Jetta.
>
>the rad fan comes on as soon as she starts the car.  It also makes a loud
>scraping noise.  it's not scraping against the fan housing either.  I have
>unplugged her fan for now (I don't think she'll need it this week with
>these temperatures) and told her to plug it back in if the temp goes above
>3/4.

Try turning the AC off. This will make the fan not come on all the time.
unless the wiring has been fucked with.

>I see this as 2 problems.
>
>#1...the thermoswitch is buggered

Thats not very descriptive. Need more info. Is the switch growing things or
does it have antennae?

>#2...the fan needs a new bearing

Replace fan motor.

>does anyone else have any suggestions on what this could be?
>
>also, how do I check an alt to see if it's working properly?  she has to
>boost her car after every time she parks it.

Buy a multimeter. Set it to volts DC. Make sure it reads higher than 13V. If
it doesnt then you have a chraging problem. If it does then you have a drain
when the car is off.

>and the starter makes a horribly loud noise when she turns the key.....the
>car is an automatic....is this a common thing?

Yes, automatics are shit. They even sound like shit.

>TIA
>Casey
>84 Roc
>83 Audi Coupe
>86 GLi...for parts
>88 Golf.....finally sold it to a friend who's car fell apart today (damn
>mazdas)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA