rad fan problem, and more.....

A friend at work has a problem with her '92 Jetta.

the rad fan comes on as soon as she starts the car.  It also makes a loud scraping noise.  it's not scraping against the fan housing either.  I have unplugged her fan for now (I don't think she'll need it this week with these temperatures) and told her to plug it back in if the temp goes above 3/4.

I see this as 2 problems.

#1...the thermoswitch is buggered
#2...the fan needs a new bearing

does anyone else have any suggestions on what this could be?

also, how do I check an alt to see if it's working properly?  she has to boost her car after every time she parks it.

and the starter makes a horribly loud noise when she turns the key.....the car is an automatic....is this a common thing?

TIA
Casey
84 Roc
83 Audi Coupe
86 GLi...for parts
88 Golf.....finally sold it to a friend who's car fell apart today (damn mazdas)