[mk2] scirocco options (the good and the bad)

  well, i exhausted my contacts at the three local vw dealership and
bring back mixed news.
  the bad: all three service departments referred me to their parts
departments for information on the option codes. two of the three told
me to go back to the service department. only one said that while he
worked at a ford dealership, he remembered a book of some sort that
listed the options and the codes side-by-side. while this isn't vw, it
at least suggests that someone out there DOES keep track of things like
this. he suggested i contact customer service at vwoa (my next step).
  the medium bit of news: i confirmed today that the option codes did
change from year-to-year. while i suspect that some stayed the same (ie
- sunroof) most likely many of them changed. no real big deal, just more
sorting to have to go through.
  the good: you CAN find out what option codes were on your car, even if
the sticker is bad or missing. for those who don't know, the sitcker is
by the d-side taillight inside the hatch. at the same time, while using
the same program, you can find out if you hae any outstanding recalls
that need to be performed on your car. i found this out today by
inquiring about pending recalls on my '85. interestingly enough, it
seems to tell you when your scirocco was also sold. i requested a copy
of the information and they promptly printed it off. i'm going back with
the vin's to my '86 and '87 later.
  in the next few days i'm going to try and setup some type of form that
y'all can enter your information in and hopefully we'll be able to
decode these codes.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com