RE: scirocco.org club, list etiquette, etc

<snip Ben>

> > > It is important to note that some of the solutions that I'm having
> > > to come up with are limited due to the fact that I am putting my
> > > own money into securing the machine, routers, bandwidth, and drives.
> > > So, the concept of a member supported infrastructure really intrigues
> > > me...as I could be online far more quickly with a better service if I
> > > had a budget to work with...we should talk more about this.  Fixed IP
> > > is really where it's at, but it's expensive, for instance.
> > > We could take this offline if someone would like...

I definitely support some sort of collection plan to help with the above
aspect of the club.  Anything to make the current state of Scirocco.org
better, faster and easier to use.  I don't know what the best way to do this
is, but I don't feel that orgainizing into a typical club is the right way
to go about it.  I think a typical club is an unwieldy, lumbering beast and
we have a unique oportuninty as a strictly online club to do things
differently.

> > > Basically I have a great interest in seeing a high quality online
> > > scirocco community, and will do what I can to make it happen.

Thanks Brett.  Without the website, none of us would be here in the first
place.
<end snip>

I agree with you, Ben.  I'm not sure a traditional club is the best answer
(for many of the reasons that have come up so far).  But at the same time, I
think we should all help Brett out with the list/website, since we all
benefit from it.  Not all of us can donate the time or have the skills to
help with the actual work, so that's what was primarily driving my dues
comment.  As some have said, they'd be more than willing to throw a couple
bucks to support the list/website given what they've received from the list
(sign me up for that).  I have no doubt that we'd be able to come up with
enough money for our/Brett's plans.  But throwing money into the mix creates
a whole new level of issues.  Who gets to collect it, who owns the server
that we buy with it, where does it get setup, do we let Brett have carte
blanche control of content and upgrades, and a whole host of others.  If we
didn't have a governing body, we'd have to make sure everyone knows that any
money spent on the list would be like throwing money down a hole (or into a
Scirocco, if you will).  I don't know if people would like that.  I don't
know, just brainstorming/thinking outloud.

Yes, thanks Brett and Chris.  I've definitely received more than my share of
benefit from you guys setting this up and maintaining it.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II