Re: SS Brake Lines

>I'm looking for opinions on SS brakelines. Under the FAQ section of
>scirocco.org, Brett writes:
>
>"The braided stainless steel lines are a great idea, as long at the
>lines are protected with some sort of heavy walled rubber tube so that
>dirt doesn't get caught in the braid and abraid the plastic line"
>
>Any one have knowledge of which brands are manufacturered with the
>"rubber tube" for protection? which brands to avoid?
>
>I've read that the Nuespeed lines have a heat shrink covering over the
>braided SS. I guess that would accomplish the same thing as the heavy
>rubber by keeping the dirt out in the first place.
>
>Opinions/Recommendations of particular brands are appreciated.
>
>Also...is it necessary (not from a legal perspective but for
>longevity/performance) to purchase a set with D.O.T approval?
>
>THat's all for now...
>-TIA,
>Keith
>
>84 8v

Yep, sounds like I wrote that. :)  Many years ago, it was thought to
be a problem because no one, but no one, coated their lines.  All
the lines are a teflon tube surrounded by a metal braiding.  I guess
enough suppliers thought it might be a problem also so now it's
hard to find SS lines that aren't coated somehow.

I used clean heat shrink tubing on mine, and DOT approval is not
necessary.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net