SS Brake Lines

I'm looking for opinions on SS brakelines. Under the FAQ section of
scirocco.org, Brett writes:

"The braided stainless steel lines are a great idea, as long at the
lines are protected with some sort of heavy walled rubber tube so that
dirt doesn't get caught in the braid and abraid the plastic line"

Any one have knowledge of which brands are manufacturered with the
"rubber tube" for protection? which brands to avoid?

I've read that the Nuespeed lines have a heat shrink covering over the
braided SS. I guess that would accomplish the same thing as the heavy
rubber by keeping the dirt out in the first place.

Opinions/Recommendations of particular brands are appreciated.

Also...is it necessary (not from a legal perspective but for
longevity/performance) to purchase a set with D.O.T approval?

THat's all for now...
-TIA,
Keith

84 8v