RE: ['87 16v] recommended oil filters?

As a supplier to the automotive industry, I can say that price is generally
considered at least as important as quality.  While it's true that OEMs have
very high quality standards compared to what they were several years ago
(Ford is adopting 6 sigma quality standards, meaning 3.4 defects per
million), there is constant pressure on suppliers to meet low price targets
and continually grant cost reductions.  In fact, many of you are probably
aware that Chrysler recently demanded a 5% across-the-board cost-down, with
another cost-down to follow in the future.  At some point in all this
squeezing, suppliers have to begin using cheaper materials and processes,
because the other side of the coin is labor demanding a higher wage, often
for the same work.  It becomes very difficult to maintain quality and make a
profit.

Like you said, do (or look at) the research, and then decide what you want
to do for your car, not what the OEM was able to get the best price on.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle
'87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0