Re: Paints, Spraying and stone chip protection

> Hi

Hello!
> Vehicle is Scirocco

Cool

> I'm in the process of having the front of my car sprayed - Front wings,
> bonnet, spoiler and lower grille.

So I assume those wings are fenders, a bonnet is the hood, and spoiler is
the "air dam" area .................Ok,...so you are spraying from the
windshield forward....this is what I just did.
Great!
> I have a couple of questions.

OK
> I previously sprayed my grille badge black using Tamiya Cellulose but its
> suffering badly from stone chips. Can black badges be obtained or is there
> more resistant paint?

Someone will speak up here on this one.  My wife has a cabriolet that the
grill emblem can either be purchased in black or chrome.  Might try calling
the dealer since you are in the U.K.

As far a painting that devil,....which I believe you will have to
do......here is my suggestion.  First,...do not use model paint because of
its adhesion properties and "thinnning."   Sand that emblem with a 3M Scotch
Brite pad or 600 grit sand paper just enough to "scratch through" the chrome
plating.  Wash the part very well using dish detergent and really hot water.
The hot water will evaporate faster ,.....so you can start painting !  :~)
Allow it to air dry,...don't go wiping it down cause all your doing is
putting contaminates back in the plastic.  Once dry,...spray with an
adhesion promoter.  (usually two light coats,...can be purchased in a spray
can,...usually any paint store will carry it. )  After second coat,...allow
5 minutes to flash/cure and spray first *light* coat of color.  (black?)  I
would use a acrylic enamel for its durability.  It covers very fast and once
cure,...should work well.  The biggest problem for me has always been drying
time.   I always wanted to put the part on right after the final coat of
paint.    Now I spray all items with three if not four coats of
paint....allow 45 minutes between coats and allow 2-3 days for them to
dry/cure.

> I would like smoked indicators but they are only available in orange and
> clear. I could spray the lenses with a smoke effect so what is good to do
> this?
> I have done this with out any problems.  I used the exact same
instructions as above, but instead of black paint for color I used "smoke"
color.  I put on two coats of smoke and two of clear......no problems yet!

> Stone chip protection - I would like to give my bonnet laeding edge some
> form of protection.

You mean like a bra...

> What can i use that is unobtrusive/invisible but  effective?

You don't mean a bra,.....hmmm........well you can use something similar to
Imron paint that PPG, and other paint company's have out.    It is a much
more durable paint,...though I question other properties of it.   Now I know
they do make "sprayable" body mask,....It is a liquid,.....think of it as
masking tape you can spary everywhere!  It can be pretty clear when
applied,...but for the protection you are looking for ,....it would have to
be pretty thick and I still don't know if you could save paint from a stone.
Maybe they make some of that clear "mat" that some of the guys use to
protect their Euro lights......maybe you could use that.