Re: scirocco jack points

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:38:23 -0800 (PST) Keith Fullerton
<kefullerton@yahoo.com> writes:

> <recognizing up front that any post regarding "jacking" could lead
> to a barrage of posts more suited to alt.sex.selfgratification...I've
> decided to post anywhoo>
>
> I've been working one my cars for 5-6 years, but have never really
> known where to jack them...other than factory specified locations.
>
> I've recently read a few postings that reference putting a jack
> under the oil pan. I've always just figured that was a no-no. Is it
safe
> to lift the whole front end of the car off of the ground with the oil
> pan?

Hell no!

You should only have a jack on the oil pan to support the weight of the
engine,
when doing a clutch, engine mounts, etc...

> What kind of strain does that put on the motor mounts? Other than
> the factory specified locations (right behind the front wheels and
right
> in front of the rear wheels), where else is a safe place to put the
> jack?

Forward of the front factory "jacking" point, there is a round
reinforcement, that's a good spot.
The part of the unibody that the A-arms bolt to in the front is
reinforced well.

Note: Do not jack it up on the A-arm itself.

For the rear, you can jack it up on the rear trailing arm, or "rear".

If I'm working on the rear, I'll jack it up in the center of the "rear",
and then place the jack stands on the 2 rear factory "jacking" points.

> I've mainly used the factory locations as I've been fearful of
> bending/breaking something by jacking the car in the wrong place.
>
> Basically, can someone help explain where it is okay to place the
> jack and where it is a definite no-no?

A-arm, oil pan, transaxle bellhousing, floor, the reinforcements on the
bottom of the floor,
(where some idiot tow truck drivers put the cable hook and pull the car
up on the rollback)...

>Also, would these locations be the same across all A1 chassis?

Yes...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"