['87 16v] rear brake noises

hey all-

sometime last year i was complaining about my rear brakes making a clinging
noise as i drove. it's gotten progressively worse and just today (in the
rain, on the street) i decided to figure out what's wrong. i had thought
that maybe since the noise is now really loud, it was my brake pads
completely worn out leaving clearance between the pads and rotor.

turns out, the tension spring that holds the rear brake pad away from the
caliper was broken! one on each wheel. and both were the inner pads with
the broken spring. so, i just broke off the remaining non-functional spring
and now, no clinging!

now the next project is this: my parking brake lever stopped ratcheting and
somehow is off-center. so i no longer use it. i think the lever is not
seated properly anymore.. anyone have experience with this?

thanks
dave

(i'll post pics someday)

Check your own email with your wireless web phone! Sign up now at
http://www.2301.com!  It's fast and easy!