Re: Vr6 GTI impressions

At 08:03 PM 2/18/01 , Jim Jarrett wrote:
>At 4:34 PM -0500 2/18/01, Captnbr@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Well for
>>some odd reason i was not as impressed as I thought i would be.  I don't know
>>why but my 16v felt faster than the Vr6??  Has anyone else felt this way or
>>am i just crazy. First gear in the rocco really makes me feel like i am being
>>pushed back in my seat and in Vr6 it did not feel like this.
>

>That's very odd.  I have the opposite impression.  My daily driver is a
>Passat GLX wagon.  It's a BIG car, but man, when I get on it, I feel a
>good push in the seat of the pants I haven't felt on any normal
>16v.  Brett's, yea, but I said "normal." <G>  My 16v Convertible that's
>bored out to 2nd oversize pistons has a good push, but not compared to the
>VR6.  So that's really strange, cause a GTI is certainly smaller than a
>Passat wagon!!!

That is strange, Jim.  The VR6 Passat wagon did 0-60 in 7.7s according to
Road & Track, which is the same time it took the 16V Scirocco.  Therefore,
the cars should be around the same speed.

Your Convertible is considerably heavier than a stock 16V Scirocco -- more
than the extra power from the oversize pistons will yield you, so that's
not a surprise.

But yeah, your Passat is just about as fast as a stock 16V.  It will do
much better at high speeds cause of its lower wind resistance, but on the
0-60 launch, they should be very close.

Again, though -- we have the argument of HP vs Torque.  You feel torque,
you don't feel horsepower.  The VR6 has (even accounting for the weight
difference in the cars) more torque than the 16V -- so it's going to push
you back into your seat harder than the 16V, which will push you that far
back in your seat longer.

So yes, the VR6 should feel faster... but it's not when it's in a Passat.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org