re: Instrument cluster

 >After removing my instrument cluster for some high performance >upgrades
>(well, ok - but it now looks really cool) I no longer have any
> >illumination for the gauges.

>I tested one bulb - it works. So it seems that either they aren't >getting
>power, I messed up the trace, or I missed something incredibly obvious
>reassembling the cluster after installing the gauge faces.

I had the same problem after installing my new gauge faces a while back.  I
had no illumination, either.  I tested all three bulbs, and one actually
worked, but none lit up at all in the cluster.  I think they might be wired
in series like old Christmas lights or something (one light goes out, they
all go out).  I changed the faulty bulbs, and had no problems.  Amd, while I
was at it, I changed the non-LCD clock cellophane to a nice blue color :)

Later,
Drew

'84 'Rocco
"85 BMW 318i