Re: Instrument cluster lights - help?

>After removing my instrument cluster for some high performance upgrades
>(well, ok - but it now looks really cool) I no longer have any illumination
>for the gauges.
>
>This is a step up from my first re-install, after which I had no tach or
>speedo either. Replaced the upper speedo cable that I had clumsily managed
>to break, and cleaned up all the connectors with contact cleaner (Berryman's
>Electric Motor Cleaner - good stuff) and now I have a perfectly functioning
>tach and speedo again but still no lights.
>
>I tested one bulb - it works. So it seems that either they aren't getting
>power, I messed up the trace, or I missed something incredibly obvious
>reassembling the cluster after installing the gauge faces.
>
>This weekend I wil dive into Bentley to track what wire feeds the lights,
>but I'm hoping someone can quickly point out that I'm just an idiot and
>forgot to tromulate the luminator bushing or something else equally simple.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Christian
>87 16V (pretty white face, in daylight anyway)

non-functioning lights after a cluster tear down is very common, and
I ought to know. :)  Anyway, every time this has happened, I have suggested,
or have done it myself, replacing the bulbs.  Sounds crazy considering
yours seem to work.  Try flexing the little bulb housing contacts out
a bit, and cleaning up the flexible circuit board contacts with a
pencil eraser (or super fine sanding paper, or a deoxit type spray).

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net